Current Status in Establishing Exchange:
Declared State-based Exchange.
Regular legislative process.
- A federal Exchange Planning grant of $1 million was given to the District of Columbia Department of Health Care Finance in September of 2010.
- Later in August of 2011 the same Department received a federal Level Once Establishment grant of $8.8 million to leverage the date, information, and indicators gathered in the preliminary planning effort into a comprehensive project design. A Level Two grant was given to the District of Columbia of $73 million in September 2012 to develop an IT system and fund creation of the Exchange and first year of operations.
· Small Group Plan
· BlueCross BlueShield CareFirst BluePreferred PPO
- Conducted an analysis of existing state benefit mandates, assessed benchmark plan options, held a public comment period, formed a workgroup on essential health benefits.
- 11 member board governs the exchange. Nominated voting board members are:
o Mohammad Akhter, M.D., DC Department of Health (Chair)
o Henry J. Aaron, Brookings Institution
o Leighton Ku, Center for Health Policy Research at George Washington University
o Khalid Pitts, Service Employees International Union
o Kate Sullivan Hare, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
o Diane C. Lewis, health care policy consultant
o Kevin Lucia, Health Policy Institute of Georgetown University
- DC is waiting to hear from the Department of Health and Human Services before determining quality reporting requirements.
- The city is using hired subcontractors for outreach and education as well as supprot services like the Exhange call center.
For More Information: